Quick, packed with flavors AND veggies. This LO mein will be the HIGH of your week.
Have I professed my love for Asian food yet? Granted, this is more Asian-American, but still! They don’t use dairy and it’s SO EASY to swap in gluten free noodles. It makes me do heel clicks when I only have to make simple substitutions instead of feeling like a mad scientist trying to tweak a recipe to work for my family.
I also love that this is another meat-free recipe too, and that’s loaded with veggies! In fact, I tell my boys that the water chestnuts are chips (since they’re so crunchy) and they gobble them right up! I’m sure you could throw in additional veggies; it’s great for cleaning out the refrigerator.
Add to the fact that you are using two canned veggies, so there’s less chopping and I’M SOLD!
Hope your family enjoys it as much as we do. It’s definitely eaten at least once a month in our rotation!
- 12 ounces gluten free spaghetti noodles of your choice, cooked al dente according to directions
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can baby corn, drained
- 3 cups baby romain or spinach
- SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 4 Tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce, or more, to taste (be sure to use a gluten free one if needed)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (as long as there is no sesame oil, otherwise it can be omitted)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha, or more, to taste
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients; set aside.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook noodles according to package instructions; drain well.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper and carrot. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in snow peas and spinach until the spinach has wilted, about 2-3 minutes. (Really any vegetable will do, even frozen ones, so clean out that fridge!)
4. Stir in the noodles, water chestnuts, corn and soy sauce mixture, and gently toss to combine. You want everything cooked before you add the noodles, because you don't want the noodles to continue to cook since g-free noodles become gummy very quickly!
5. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in an air tight container for 2-3 days.
Adapted from Damn Delicious' Easy Lo Mein