A creamy, yet delicately flavored pasta. The avocados make it as rich as any dairy-filled sauce, and the basil and lemon make it oh so tasty. Simply boil your favorite gluten-free noodles and put the sauce ingredients in your blender. Fast, fresh and filling! This recipe avoids: gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts; and is top-8-free and vegan too!
This post contains affiliate links.
I also have a mom-hack for you! My son loves this recipe because of pure marketing. Yes, marketing. You see, I call it the “Hulk” pasta. Since it is green, my son totally buys it! Funny what changing a few words does. Try it!
Plus, it’s not a strong sauce, so the mildness, creaminess, and fun color make it very kid friendly! This is one of my favorite vegan dinners to make when my husband is at work; I pair it with fresh corn on the cob and baby tomatoes. It’s so veggie friendly and just light. I never walk away from this meal feeling heavy or gross.
You can serve this with any type of gluten-free pasta, but I prefer rotini, since the sauce sticks in all those crevices and you can really get more sauce with each bite, which I’m all about!
Add to the fact that the sauce is made in the blender, and the pasta only takes ten minutes to boil I can have this on the table in no time flat–which has been so needed this busy summer. Seriously–is it just me, or do the summer days fly by and all of the sudden it’s 5 pm??
Not only is summer busy in and of itself, but I have some exciting sponsored content coming up for you guys. I’m seriously almost peeing my pants about working with this company. So, on top of doing my two posts this week, I’ve been cooking experimenting like crazy–which is good for the tummy, but not good for your time or level of kitchen messiness. My kids certainly haven’t minded being taste testers. You can see some of the cookie experiments on my Instagram.
Enjoy this pasta, whether you call it Hulk pasta or Basil, Lemon & Avocado Creamy Pasta. I hope it helps you enjoy an easy, light meal this summer.
- 16 ounces gluten-free rotini
- 1 Tablespoon of salt
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded and flesh scooped out
- 2 (3/4 oz) packages of fresh basil leaves (approximately 1 cup loosely packed)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more, according to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water, with 1 Tablespoon of salt, to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions for al dente. Drain, and rinse well with cool water to stop the cooking process.
- While the pasta drains, put the avocados, basil, garlic, lemon juice, zest, salt, and olive oil in your blender or food processor. (I use a Blendtec Wildside). Blend until everything is blended and creamy.
- Return the pasta to the pot, and add the sauce. Heat over medium heat just a few minutes until the pasta and sauce are warm enough for serving, because careful to not heat too long and over cook the pasta. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Serve with freshly cracked pepper, and additional basil if desired.
Adapted from: Damn Delicious