Spicy Italian sausage, with salty olives, and sweet roasted red bell peppers envelope gluten-free pasta in this spin on the classic sausage and peppers. While it’s free of the top eight allergens, it’s still loaded with flavor.
Since this is one of our favorite meals, I made it for my parents while they were in town over the Christmas holiday. My mom declared it the best spaghetti she’d ever had. And now, she makes it regularly. This means a lot–because she is so burned out from cooking, she doesn’t do it much, let alone try new recipes. So, I consider that a huge success! She always forgets it’s called sausage and peppers, and she’ll text me saying “I made your spaghetti” and it makes me smile.
My older son loves to pick out the savory sausage and my younger son loves to pick out the olives first. But, they both eat it up! And, it’s no wonder, this has all of the things you love about Italian dinners, all in an easy, thirty minute dinner.
I love that most of the ingredients are canned, so it really doesn’t take much prep, but still has tons of flavor and the fresh parsley really adds a bright note at the end. Perfect for weekday nights when I want a nice dinner without a ton of effort.
Don’t get me started on the texture! Slurpable noodles, soft olives, crisp sausage–this is a big mouthful is all the best ways possible. And, it’s not too bad on the eyes either with the bursts of red and green through it!
I make this at least once a month, and it never disappoints. I’m sure this will become part of your family’s regular rotation too. It’s great for winter, or even summer as it doesn’t require the oven.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, diced (I use canned ones)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2-1 can of black olives, halved
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) of Basil, Garlic and Oregano diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth *be sure it's gluten free!
- 9 oz gluten free noodles of choice+1 Tablespoon salt+ 1 Tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley *see note
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil, onions and sausage, breaking the sausage into small pieces. Once the sausage is cooked through and the onions are soft, add the diced roasted peppers, salt and pepper, garlic, olives, diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil enough water to completely cover the pasta and add the dried minced garlic and salt. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook according to the pasta's directions. I find mine takes 9 minutes to be al dente. Once the pasta is al dente, rinse it off with cold water since gluten-free pasta is so starchy, to help remove the gumminess. Then, add it to the skillet and toss with the sausage mixture. Be sure to not let it sit in the hot sauce for more than a few minutes before serving, as the hot mixture will continue to cook the pasta and can cause it to be gummy and too soft.
- Serve with chopped fresh parsley while hot.
*Note: if you're out of fresh parsley, as I often am, I will put in 1 teaspoon of dried parsley into the sauce at the same time I'm adding the chicken broth.
Adapted from: Skinny Taste