A spicy yet creamy soup that has all of the southwest flavors you love. A set-it-and-forget-it recipe, this is fab for busy fall or winter week days when you want a comforting soup to come home to. Free of gluten, dairy, egg, peanut & tree nuts.
If you live in the West like I do–anything that has green chile in it makes you get excited. Offer me any type of Mexican, Tex-Mex or southwest flavors and I’m already at your dinner table with my napkin in my lap.
The difficult part of this genre, is that it’s usually loaded with cheese–and for good reason. Cheese helps temper the heat. So, finding something that is spicy but you won’t hate without cheese can be difficult.
I found that the dairy-free cream cheese that I used gave it just enough creaminess that it had a slurpable texture and was just the right amount of heat.
If you do like heat more than I do, you can always customize it by the types of green chiles you buy. I always go with mild–I’d like to blame this on the fact that I serve this to my children, but I’m just as big of a baby when it comes to heat as they are.
I will never, EVER have enough slow cooker/crock pot soups in my life. I love putting dinner together in the morning–when I still have energy, then waiting until the end of the day when I’m more haggard. Plus, there’s something so satisfying about dumping ingredients in a slow cooker/crock pot and coming home to this amazing dinner. It’s like the slow cooker/crock pot has magical powers. By the way–do you say slow cooker or crock pot? I never know what to call it, other than my third, beloved child.
This is great with fresh lime squeezed on top, a dollop of dairy-free sour cream, or with tortilla chips to crunch on top of it, or to simply give your spoon a break as you ladle out the beans with it. Or–with none of the above–dress it up and down as much as you like and it’s still scrumptious.
I just had the leftovers for lunch and it does not disappoint!
Enjoy this spicy, yet oh-so-easy soup this fall and winter!
PS–if you need a similar soup that DOES NOT have soy, check out my Slow Cooker White Chicken Chile.
- 16 oz green enchilada sauce
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 7 oz diced, fire-roasted green chiles, mild
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth (be sure it's wheat free--some aren't)
- 4 ounces dairy-free cream cheese, softened
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Optional add-ins: dairy-free sour cream, fresh lime, tortilla chips
- Turn your slow cooker to low. Place the chicken breasts in the bottom. Add all of the ingredients, except for the dairy-free cream cheese, cilantro and toppings.
- Cover and allow to cook 4-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred.
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until it's fully incorporated.
- Top with freshly cut cilantro and additional toppings as desired.
- Soup keeps well in air-tight containers for 2-3 days.
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for other slow cooker recipes, plus other allergy-friendly favorites!
Adapted from: Chelsea’s Messy Apron
See my recipe index for more delicious soup recipes!