This adorable, snackable dessert couldn’t get any easier. No bake and store bought ingredients help this treat come together within minutes. Simply assemble and dip in chocolate. The hardest part will be waiting for the chocolate to harden. This festive holiday treat is free of: gluten, dairy, egg, peanut and tree nuts; and is vegan too!
Is anyone else getting baked out? I’ve done enough holiday baking, that I’m almost ready to be done. Yet, the sweet cravings haven’t stopped. That’s where this beauty came in handy!
I love salty and sweet, and so I started dreaming of this creation since we constantly snack on gluten-free pretzels. This dessert has basically all the things I love: chocolate, marshmallows, salty and crunchy.
I especially love it because it requires ZERO BAKING. It’s all store-bought ingredients. So, there’s no prep, unless you count melting the chocolate chips in your microwave.
I even had my 2 year old help me spread the SunButter on top of the pretzel, and sticking the marshmallows on top. He thought it was pretty fun!
Here are all the ingredients you need, except for shortening–shortening just doesn’t look cute–but it does help the chocolate melt into a nice consistency:
This recipe will come in handy as it gets closer and closer to Christmas and you’re running out of time. Last minute neighbor treats are always stressful, and this will be the answer. It seems I try to plan who I need to give treats to, but I always inevitably forget someone–and don’t remember until I’ve given away everything!
I even had a friend over the other day that eats regular, aka no food allergies, and she really enjoyed it! That’s when you know it’s a win!
These would be great any time of year, really–as an easy party snack, but if you want to make them festive for the season be sure to sprinkle some Christmas sprinkles on top to give them some extra holiday cheer.
My kids keep calling them “chocolate cookies”–since they seem handheld and portable like a cookie. Whatever you call them, you’ll still be saying “YUMM!” at the end.
If you want a step-by-step picture of the assembly, here you go. It really is THIS EASY:
And, voila! A cute, satisfying dessert made in minutes.
I hope these are enjoyed by your family, friends or neighbors this season and that it helps everyone feel included.
If you’d like to see a video of it, as well as some allergy-friendly stocking stuffer ideas, see this Fox TV segment I did. Simply click on the photo to launch the Facebook video.
- 1 bag of gluten-free pretzels
- 2 cups of vegan chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons dairy-free, soy-free shortening
- 1 bag of large marshmallows, with each one cut in half (be sure you're using vegan marshmallows, if you need it to be vegan)
- 1 jar of creamy SunButter
- Sprinkles, optional
- Take a pretzel and smear a small amount of SunButter on top of it. Take one of the large marshmallows that are cut in half and place it, sticky side down, on top of the SunButter.
- Once all of those are assembled, melt your chocolate. Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute at a time, until everything is melted and easily stirred.
- Drop one pretzel bite at a time into the melted chocolate, carefully coating each side. Gently lift it out of the chocolate, knocking off any excess chocolate. Set the wet pretzel bite on some wax paper until it sets up. While it's still wet, place some sprinkles on top.
- Allow them to harden (this can be done faster if you want to place it in the fridge).
- Enjoy--these may be kept out at room temperature, uncovered if you wish.
- (Also, this can be doubled to make as many as you want. I just made as many as we needed and stopped once we got there, but feel free to use up the entire bags of ingredients.)
Don’t forget to pin this, so you don’t lose it. Also, check out my other Allergy-friendly Pinterest boards.