Literally my favorite salad to make. The sweetness from the apples perfectly balances the saltiness from the bacon. And the dressing, THIS dressing…well, the sweetness and tanginess are a perfect yin and yang. Basically, this salad is perfection. The only thing not in balance is how much I eat of it. Gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanut and tree nut free. Free of the top eight allergens!
- 1 package of spinach OR 2-3 romaine hearts, washed and cut (my son can't do spinach--both work great!)
- 1-2 sweet apples, chopped (I usually use Gala)
- 1 pkg. bacon, cooked crispy and chopped
- 1/2 cup salted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 small red onion (about a half cup)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- For the salad, make a bed of spinach and place the rest of the toppings on top.
- For the dressing, put all ingredients in a blender, but the oil. Turn the blender on and slowly pour in the oil to create an emulsion. Blend until everything is smooth and incorporated. Wait to put the dressing on until right before to keep the spinach from being soggy.
Also, if you can do dairy, crumbled feta cheese is amazing in it.
If you can do nuts, candied almonds or walnuts are a great substitution for the sunflower seeds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 625Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 2093mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 9gSugar: 62gProtein: 9g
Hi! I’m Megan, a mom to four kids, two with multiple food allergies & one with EOE. I’m a published cookbook author that constantly tweaks recipes to make them allergy friendly–it’s an addiction. I share every recipe & tip with you, to help you eat like you did before food allergies & dietary restrictions. You can still be awesome, even with food allergies!