An easy, slow cooker side that is sweet and filling. With cinnamon, a hint or orange and marshmallows, you almost feel like you’re getting away with having dessert for dinner!
For me, sweet potato season begins with Thanksgiving and goes all winter. I really can’t be friends with people who only have sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving because they’re depriving themselves!
I like to have sweet potatoes for both my Thanksgiving dish, and my Christmas feast. Plus, it puts me in good standing with my husband who loves them too. So, it’s a win-win for me. Seriously–I have to pretty much surrender all leftovers to him.
Another reason I love to have this scrumptious side dish on these big holidays is because it’s so easy! There’s enough work and prep with the rest of the dishes that it’s nice to have a no-fail side that you just throw in the slow cooker and forget about.
So, whip out your slow cooker and get ready for a sweet side dish.
- 4-5 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped (it doesn't have to be pretty since you'll be mashing them later)
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows (or enough to top it with)**
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Be sure to do this because of the high sugar content!
- Spread peeled and chopped sweet potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the spices and pour the liquids over the sweet potatoes. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3. If possible, the slow is preferred just to make sure your sugar doesn't burn. But, by all means, once they're soft you can stop the cooking.
- Once cooked, mash until soft and a uniform puree. Take your slow cooker dish (not the electric shell) and place it in the oven. Be sure to make sure your slow cooker can do this! (If not, you can always put it in a 13x9...but I prefer to have less dishes.) Place the oven on broil and brown the marshmallows until golden and gooey!