Soaking in coconut, lime, curry, and a plethora of spices this island-inspired chicken is paired with a mild coconut rice with hints of lime, cilantro and stirred into filling beans. Great for grilling, this gluten, dairy, egg, peanut, and tree nut free dinner is a welcome relief from plain grilled chicken.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup canned full-fat coconut milk (found in Asian isle)*
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh limes, cut into wedges
Lime, Cilantro and Coconut Rice:
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (from the same can above, one can will have enough for both)
- 1 cup water
- Zest of half a lime
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice (or more to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- Half of a 15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place the chicken in a zip-loc bag and add all of the ingredients, except for the fresh limes for the marinade. Refrigerate for at least eight hours, and if possible, overnight.
- Once it is done marinating, grill over medium heat until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165. Allow to rest for five minutes. Serve with additional freshly chopped cilantro on top and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- For the rice, bring the rice, coconut milk, water, lime zest and salt to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is mostly evaporated. remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork and serving.
- Once it's ready to be fluffed, add the cilantro, lime juice and black beans. Stir to incorporate and serve with the chicken.
*Be sure to shake the can of full-fat coconut milk well before you start measuring it, to ensure the water and the fat are no longer separated.
Slightly tweaked from: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe