A dense lemon cake topped with sweet raspberries and mountains of streusel is perfect as dessert, or even a breakfast cake. The perfect blend of sweet with tart, you’ll want a large slice. This Vegan Gluten-free Lemon Raspberry Streusel Cake is free of: wheat, dairy, egg, soy, peanut and tree nuts.
Do you ever see an image of food and it just stays with you forever? Or, am I the only one that pines away and thinks of food constantly? #tellmeImnottheonlyone
That’s how this cake was for me. I saw one that was loaded with sour cream, eggs, lots of butter–you name it–basically all the forbidden foods for us. Yet the colors, the texture and the flavors just called to me. Especially because I love raspberries–anything with raspberries and my ears have already perked up. I pinned it and dreamed of it for quite awhile until I had both the time and guts to try making it allergy-friendly.
That happened while my mom was visiting. I knew with someone to help corral my kids I could do some work in the kitchen. After deciding what replacements I’d use I set to work and said a little prayer.
And, voila! It was amazing. We knew it’d be good because the smell that wafted through my house was making our mouths water long before we even tried a morsel. It was all we could do to wait for it to cool and for me to take pictures. My mom–who has no food allergies or restrictions loved it. When that happens, you know you have a winner.
I ate this after dinner, first thing in the morning–you name it. I figured because it was coffee-cake-like (with the streusel and all, plus–hello–fruit!) that it could be eaten in the A.M. And, it was so delicious, it needed to be eaten after lunch too. Basically, I wanted any excuse to put this in my mouth. This could also be a show stopper at a brunch party too! Basically it’s good 24/7.
I typically am picky with gluten-free vegan white cakes. However, this one turned out nice. It was dense and moist, thanks to the yogurt. I was so thrilled with this recipe. Truly, one of my top baking triumphs.
I hope you enjoy it too!
I’ve linked to some of the ingredients in the recipe card to help you find them online, or to see the labels. They may contain affiliate links.
- FOR THE CAKE:
- ½ cup vegan butter, (1 stick) room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 4 Tablespoons plain or vanilla rice milk
- One 5.3 oz container of non-dairy vanilla yogurt (I'd recommend So Delicious or Silk, if you can do soy)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum (omit if your blend already has this)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Zest of one large lemon (approx 1 Tablespoon)
- 2 and ½ cups frozen raspberries (not thawed)
- FOR THE STREUSEL:
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Zest of half a large lemon
- ½ cup vegan butter (1 stick), cold--cut into little cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch spring form or regular circular pan--either is fine, it just depends on if you want to be able to lift the cake out and show off the sides or not.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the vegan butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan, egg replacer and salt and then turn on medium-low and stir until lightly combined.
- Add the rice milk, vanilla yogurt, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your greased pan and spread evenly. Top with the frozen raspberries to your liking (you can use more or less than the amount called for).
- To make the streusel, combine the flour, sugar, lemon zest, and butter in a bowl. Mix for 2-3 minutes until all the flour is incorporated. Break it up into small balls and drop the streusel evenly over the raspberries.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, or until done and the cake is fragrant. Let the cake rest for about 15 minutes then remove ring and let cool completely.
- Keeps well for 1-2 days covered.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN IT SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT. ALSO, CHECK OUT MY OTHER ALLERGY-FRIENDLY PINTEREST BOARDS.
Looking for other cake recipes? Check out some of my other favorites: