A big, hearty soup that is made super easily in your instant pot! Thick and filled with veggies this gluten and dairy free soup will be winter’s best friend. This Gluten & Dairy-free Instant Pot Chicken, Mushroom & Wild Rice is also free of: egg, fish, shellfish, peanuts and tree nuts, with a soy free option too!
This post contains affiliate links.
My all-time favorite soup growing up was cheese and broccoli. Just kidding. I hated that and persecuted my mother any time she made it. Now I get how it feels to have kids that complain. I’m so sorry mom!
Now, that we’ve gotten that apology out of the way–my ACTUAL favorite soup of my mom’s was her Chicken & Wild Rice. If I recall right, it used butter and used Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice packets–which have wheat in them.
So, for the first few winters after my son’s food allergy diagnosis, I was so bummed to face the cold weather without my favorite soup to cuddle up with.
I was relieved when I came up with a stove top rendition a few years ago. Anyone remember it–any tried and true fans reading this? It was a little complicated–sorry–this blog is definitely about evolving. And, it took FOREVER for the brown and wild rice to soften–but I’d make it all of the time regardless since I loved it so.
Once I got my instant pot for Christmas last year, I knew one of the first recipes I did had to be to make my favorite soup a little bit easier. And, I’ve done that–and it is once again my favorite soup–but now it’s gluten and dairy free!
I even served the soup to my whole family for Christmas Eve dinner since we wanted something easy and filling, so we could get onto decorating cookies for Santa. My mom approved of the soup and it just felt very full circle.
If you’d like to see a video of how to make it, watch the video below, or on my YouTube!
I hope that this is a comforting soup you and your family can enjoy as well. Allergy-friendly soups are so needed during the bleak winter months and this’ll get ya through! (I also have a round up of 20+ allergy-friendly winter soups!)
Also–I get my wild rice from a local grocer Unfortunately, the company does not sell it on Amazon, but you can get it directly from their website (unsponsored). Or, just look for a similar gluten-free one. I like this one because it has dehydrated vegetables herbs and spices so it cuts out having to add additional ones in the recipe. If you can only find a plain wild rice mixture, you’ll need to add additional spices. I’d suggest starting with a teaspoon each of parsley, garlic salt, and salt at a minimum and go up from there.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced finely
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks (we can't do celery, so we omitted this--but it'd be great with it if you can!)
- 2 chicken breasts, raw
- 1 cup long grain rice & wild rice combo *see blog post above
- 1 package of button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 oz dairy-free cream cheese (be sure to check the label as many have soy--we can do soy, but if not find one that isn't)
- 5 cups water + 3 and ½ Tablespoons chicken bouillon (or follow whatever the directions are for the type of bouillon you use to match 5 cups of water. I calculated it off of my favorite kind.)
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Push the "saute" button and add your olive oil. Add your garlic cloves and onion and stir frequently until fragrant, about 1 minute. Turn off the "saute" function and add in the rest of your ingredients.
- Hit "manual" and set it for 25 minutes.
- Once it's done, allow for a quick release and then take out your chicken. Shred it, and then add it back into the soup. Mix well, and smooth out any remaining lumps from the dairy-free cream cheese. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN IT, SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT! ALSO, CHECK OUT MY OTHER ALLERGY-FRIENDLY PINTEREST BOARDS.
Looking for more allergy-friendly soup recipes? Here’s some more delicious ideas: