Thank you Modern Table for sponsoring this post. This delicious, complete protein pasta is made from just three plant-based ingredients — eat clean with Modern Table pasta today!
A thick and hearty meal that comes together in a flash thanks to the instant pot. Start with frozen chicken breasts (no need to thaw!) and end up with a saucy Chicken Cacciatore that’s gluten and dairy free for a weeknight meal that makes enough not just for one meal, but a freezer meal as well! This recipe is free of the top allergens, too: wheat, dairy, egg, soy, peanut and tree nuts with a meat-free version as well!
Who’s still trying to eat healthier this year? Anybody? Hopefully even if you’ve fallen off the wagon, this will give you one more recipe and reason to eat healthier, even if just for one night!
Typical chicken cacciatore is made by dredging the chicken in flour and then frying before letting it simmer in the sauce. Since my family is gluten-free, and I think frying makes a huge mess, and because I wanted a one-pot, healthier version we used my instant pot instead!
If you’ve never had chicken cacciatore–think of it like a rich ragu sauce with chicken in it. My kids actually call it chicken spaghetti if that helps any first time cacciatore eaters!
I love that the instant pot can take frozen chicken breasts and turn them into shredded, soft chicken in less than a half an hour! This is great for weeknights for when I forgot to thaw the meat.
Then, add lots of spices–thyme, rosemary, garlic, oregano and some red wine and lots of tomatoes and you have yourself a thick and hearty sauce that’s ready to be draped over some pasta.
But, again–if you’re wanting to be extra healthy and not just use any gluten-free pasta (which is usually just made of a starch like corn or rice) then you’ll want to reach for Modern Table’s lentil based pastas, because it’s another source of protein. All pastas are lentil-based and contain complete proteins – meaning they have the 9 essential amino acids our bodies need for strong energy, good digestion, and muscle health. So, with every bite you’re getting protein from the lean chicken AND the lentils. Perfect for my hungry, growing boys.
I often get asked what pastas we use with my son’s wheat allergy and my husband’s gluten intolerance. This is a great pasta, especially for my readers who can’t do corn. With only three plant-based ingredients, Modern Table’s plain pastas are vegan, non-GMO, and gluten-free.
And, one of the best parts of this dish? Is that it makes a TON! It makes enough to feed our two adults and three small kids, with enough to freeze for another busy night! I recommend freezing just the sauce and while that’s warming, make fresh pasta. Since the pasta only takes about 15 minutes, they should be done about the same time! Winning!
I hope this classic Italian dish with a healthier (and easier!) twist will help your allergic family have an enjoyable weekday meal! Enjoy this Instant Pot Gluten & Dairy Free Chicken Cacciatore!
- 2 frozen chicken breasts*
- generous salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 4 oz sliced fresh mushrooms**
- 1 can (28 ounces) oregano and basil tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup red cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 boxes of Modern Table Penne
- Fresh basil, if desired
- In the bottom of your instant pot, place the olive oil. Place the frozen chicken breasts on top and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Place all of the other ingredients on top of the chicken breasts, except the pasta.
- Close the lid and move the valve to "seal".
- Make sure the instant pot is set to "high" pressure.
- Hit the "manual" button and use the plus and minus buttons until you reach 28 minutes.
- When there's only 15 minutes left on the cooking time, start cooking your pasta. Follow the box directions. Drain and set aside.
- After the cooking time is over on the instant pot, move the valve to "release" to quickly release the steam (also known as a quick release.)
- Take the chicken out and shred. Return the chicken to the pot and stir.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle the chicken and sauce over the cooked penne.
- Garnish with fresh basil, if so desired.
- Freeze the leftover sauce separately (without pasta) for an easy meal at a later date as this makes tons!
*If you do not have frozen chicken breasts, and would rather use fresh, follow all of the same directions, only changing the cooking time on the instant pot from 28 to 15 minutes.
**If you would like a meatless version, this is easy to do since it's already full of veggies and has a delicious sauce all on its own. Simply double the amount of mushrooms from 4 oz to 8 oz.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN IT, SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT. BE SURE TO ALSO CHECK OUT MY OTHER ALLERGY-FRIENDLY PINTEREST BOARDS!