Also known as a pizookie, this has a crisp top and edges, and a gooey, soft center. Large enough to feed a crowd, this is perfect when it’s still warm with melty dairy-free ice cream on top of it. Free of gluten, dairy, egg, peanut & tree nuts; and is vegan!
This post contains affiliate links.
Have you come down from the Halloween candy crash yet? Are you ready for some more sugar? I almost always am! And, this dessert is perfect for when it starts to get cold, because there is something so comforting about a hot chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven. Talk about comfort food!
I have not had a skillet cookie, or pizookie, since before I gave birth to my allergy-kiddos. It had been long overdue! Not to mention, my kids really needed to experience this. They were pretty pumped and kept asking when it was done.
There really is no substitution for this dessert! The warm, crispy edges and gooey, soft center have made it that even years later, I still crave it. Loaded with chocolate chips and dripping with melted ice cream this is one of my favorite decadent desserts.
The only real problem with this dessert is deciding if you should eat it straight out of the cast iron pan, or being polite and putting it into individual servings. I confess I did a little bit of both.
Because this dessert is a bit larger than life, I prefer to use chocolate chunks instead of chips, so that you really get big mouthfuls of chocolate in every bite. Speaking of which–be sure to check your chocolate chips that you have a dairy-free brand.
I love that this recipe doesn’t require an egg replacer, but you will notice it uses dairy-free cream cheese. That helps give it some binding and softness. However, I have never found a dairy-free cream cheese that was not made of soy, which is why this is not top-8-free. I know of two different brands: Daiya and Tofutti. Let me know if you’ve ever seen any others!
Also, as far as dairy-free ice cream goes, I’ve found Tofutti, Ben & Jerry’s, and So Delicious.
We’ve still got some cookie left–which is a miracle in and of itself, and I plan on fully using it for bribery if my kids eat their lunch and dinner tonight, and then I’ll be digging in for a victory bowl once my kids are in bed. I totally reward myself just about every night once my kids are fast asleep. Do you do that? I’m often so haggard that I feel like I have earned myself a treat. I think every parent deserves one! And, this is a FABULOUS reward.
- 4 ounces dairy-free cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 8 tablespoons dairy-free butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups dairy-free semisweet chunks
- Dairy-free ice cream for serving
- Preheat your oven to 325.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the dairy-free cream cheese, and dairy-free butter.
- Next, add the sugars and mix. I would say cream, but unlike regular dairy-products, this will not whip up and cream, but it will become smooth and blended.
- Next, turn the mixer on slow and add the ingredients in this order: vanilla, cornstarch, xanthan, baking soda, and salt.
- Then, add your flour, and only blend it until it's barely combined. Manually fold in your chocolate chips.
- Place into a greased iron skillet. Bake for 15-25 minutes, depending on how gooey you like your cookie. I like it to be crispier, so I go closer to 20-25 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes so it's not hot. Once it's nice and warm, scoop some dairy-free vanilla ice cream on top, hand out spoons and get to work!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 654 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 21g Trans Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 90mg Sodium: 584mg Carbohydrates: 80g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 60g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g
Adapted from the amazing: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Don’t forget to pin this so you don’t lose this! Also, be sure to check out my other ALLERGY-FRIENDLY Pinterest boards.