The oven renders the tomatoes, garlic and onions so flavorful, there’s no need for cheese. Gluten free, dairy free and vegan, this oven roasted tomato sauce over spaghetti noodles is one savory meal that hits the spot!
YUM. It’s not often I say that, since giving up so many of my favorite foods. Thanks to my son’s recent diagnosis, I’ve been salivating for some good pasta.
So, I was thrilled to find a homemade sauce that didn’t contain cream or cheese–which can be rare!
This oven roasted tomato sauce over spaghetti squash was delicious. So much so, that I’ve had it three times, and my husband twice. Even my baby loved it!
And, don’t forget the smell! It was intoxicating while it baked. Not to mention, it was incredibly easy. It took a bit of time due to baking, but all I did was roast it and throw it in a blender. I have a high-powered Blendtec, but I would think you could do this in about any decent blender since everything is roasted.
- 2 lbs tomatoes
- 1 medium onion , roughly chopped
- 8 cloves garlic (I did 4 teaspoons of diced garlic)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Roughly chop an onion, and cut off the tops of the tomatoes. I thought an entire onion might be a bit much, but it wasn't. I used an entire medium one. Toss all ingredients and arrange on a greased cookie sheet. Roast for 1 hour.
- Remove pan from oven, and let ingredients cool slightly. Transfer ingredients to a blender and blend until a smooth consistency.
- I liked to put fresh salt and cracked pepper on top of mine. You could also sprinkle with fresh basil, more oregano, or parsley. You can't go wrong!
- This is fabulous over regular pasta, but to be gluten and wheat free we had it over spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is such a delicious substitute! And, easy. I threw ours in the microwave for about 10 minutes (our microwave isn't very powerful). By then, it was soft and cracked open by itself. I scraped the inside with a fork, and out came perfect looking "noodles".
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 638mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
Adapted from Blendtec’s Recipe Website