When I found out my son couldn’t have dairy, I figured we’d never have mashed potatoes ever again. Thank goodness I was wrong! These Dairy-Free Garlic Parsley Mashed Potatoes are the creamy side dish you’ve been missing (also gluten free!).
While I’m not a huge potato fan, you sometimes need mashed potatoes in your life. It’s just inseparable from certain main dishes. You just need that creamy side to sop up gravy, or your favorite pan sauce.
Dairy free mashed potatoes bring me back to my childhood to Sunday dinners. They’re warm and comforting. Add in some extra flavor from chicken bouillon, garlic and parsley and they’re fabulous!
If you’d rather them plain, without the addition of the garlic & parsley (you crazy person you!) you can just omit those two ingredients. Either way, you’ll have luscious dairy free mashed potatoes.
With Thanksgiving around the corner, I thought I’d better share our favorite way to make dairy-free mashed potatoes. My sister, who has no allergies, says she prefers my mashed potatoes to hers. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too!
- 5 large potatoes (I typically find you want one potato per person)
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons plain rice milk
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken boullion (make sure it's a safe brand!)*
- Wash and peel potatoes (I like to keep a little skin on for ease and for a more rustic looking dish). Cube and place in stock pot. Cover with water and add the salt. Bring to boil, and boil until fork tender. Typically 15ish minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, reserving 1 Tablespoon of the awesome starchy-leftover-water. Pour into a bowel. Add in the rest of the ingredients, and blend until smooth. A stand mixer or hand mixer will both work well. Add in the rice milk 1 Tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
*If you need the dish to be vegan, be sure to swap out the chicken boullion for a vegetable one.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 1717mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g