Valentine’s is on a Sunday this year, so you have no excuse not to make your sweetheart breakfast in bed. And, since chocolate=love the best breakfast in bed you could give them would be chocolate pancakes–that are also free of the top eight allergens.
Most women will say they like chocolate on Valentine’s. What they forgot to add is that they want chocolate for breakfast!
This is a super fun and unique batter! First off–it has powdered sugar in it! Not only does it help make the batter sweeter, but did you know that all powdered sugar is, is superfine regular sugar + cornstarch? So, don’t feel too guilty using it, because if you’re familiar with gluten free baking, you need both flours and starches to make up for not having regular wheat flour.
The other thing I adore about this recipe is that uses my new, favorite culinary find: aquafaba. I used it in my last pancakes, and I just didn’t see a reason to stray. I knew it’d help give the batter that airy, bubbly texture which converts to soft and fluffy pancakes. It’s just like using egg whites, but without the eggs! So no worries, if you’ve never made aquafaba before–just buy yourself a can of chickpeas and get those beaters out! Plus, it will sound all the more impressive to your love when you tell them how you made it.
Finally, don’t fret about this being too sweet. It only uses 1/2 cup of cocoa powder, so it’s not super dark. I don’t like breakfasts that are sickly sweet, because after all, this is the first meal of the day. Instead these just-right pancakes are perfect. They’re different from your regular pancakes, sweet, and just the right amount of chocolate.
Serve them with just a light dusting of powdered sugar, of the classic safe butter and syrup combo. Either way, you’re sure to woo your significant other.
Helping you eat safely and helping your love life. Who knew? You’re welcome! 🙂
If you’d like a video demonstration, I went on KSL yesterday to demo these pancakes. I was sad they cut it where they did because the anchor, Andrew, exclaimed how delicious they were after his bite. Darn three minute mark is so hard to fit everything in. He even took one more bite before racing back to the anchor chair. SUCCESS! Click the picture below to play.
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups faux buttermilk (vanilla rice mix + 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar)
- 6 Tablespoons chick pea brine (also known as aquafaba)
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Put the chick pea brine in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Blend on high until stiff peaks form (just as they would for egg whites.)
- Pour the faux buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Gently fold in the brine into the mixture until blended.
- Pour onto a hot, greased griddle, and flip once the bubbles start to pop in the batter.
- Serve hot with a safe butter, powdered sugar or maple sysrup.
Adapted from: My Recipes
DON’T FORGET TO PIN IT, SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT. ALSO, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY OTHER ALLERGY-FRIENDLY PINTEREST BOARDS.