Tender asparagus sprinkled with salty, crunchy bacon and a sweet yet tangy red onion vinaigrette makes an impressive Thanksgiving side dish, or compliments any old dinner menu. There’s never a wrong time to serve this allergy-friendly asparagus side dish! This Asparagus with Bacon & Red Onion Vinaigrette is naturally free of: gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts. It’s also top-8-free!
While I’ve been able to be completely satisfied with my new allergy-friendly Thanksgiving feast, one thing I do still have a hankering for is a green bean type of dish. Since my son can’t have green beans, I don’t bother making them anymore.
Thank goodness I’ve found a great substitute: asparagus. While I often just eat asparagus roasted, I like to dress it up for special occasions. What better dressing can you have then bacon and a tangy, yet sweet vinaigrette?
I’ve tried asparagus wrapped in bacon, and while still wonderful, I find no matter how long I roast it, the bacon does not get as crisp as I like it. I decided I prefer to crumble it on top so I can have that satisfying crunch. Plus it’s so pretty!
I’m already looking forward to having these for Christmas dinner.
Asparagus with Bacon and Red Onion Vinaigrette
Asparagus dressed up for special occassions with a tangy, yet sweet vinaigrette and finished with some crunchy bacon.
- 1 lb. asparagus (washed and cut)
- 1 package of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced red onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- Drop asparagus into boiling water and cover. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until tender. Don't over cook, I still like a little snap to mine, otherwise they turn to mush.
- While asparagus is cooking, in a small sauce pan over medium heat, put the olive oil and onions. Cook until the onions are soft. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook one minute to incorporate.
- When asparagus is done, drain and pour the vinaigrette over the top and garnish with crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS ASPARAGUS WITH BACON & RED ONION VINAIGRETTE SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT! CHECK OUT MY OTHER ALLERGY FRIENDLY PINTEREST BOARDS.
Adapted from Our Best Bites
You can’t ever go wrong with asparagus;) But this recipe was AMAZING! The flavors came together beautifully. its a keeper!!
I so appreciated you letting me know, Liz. Thanks!