Tender asparagus sprinkled with salty, crunchy bacon and a sweet yet tangy red onion vinaigrette makes an impressive Thanksgiving side dish, or compliments any old dinner menu. There’s never a wrong time to serve this allergy-friendly asparagus side dish! This Asparagus with Bacon & Red Onion Vinaigrette is naturally free of: gluten, dairy, egg, soy, peanuts and tree nuts. It’s also top-8-free!
While I’ve been able to be completely satisfied with my new allergy-friendly Thanksgiving feast, one thing I do still have a hankering for is a green bean type of dish. Since my son can’t have green beans, I don’t bother making them anymore.
Thank goodness I’ve found a great substitute: asparagus. While I often just eat asparagus roasted, I like to dress it up for special occasions. What better dressing can you have then bacon and a tangy, yet sweet vinaigrette?
I’ve tried asparagus wrapped in bacon, and while still wonderful, I find no matter how long I roast it, the bacon does not get as crisp as I like it. I decided I prefer to crumble it on top so I can have that satisfying crunch. Plus it’s so pretty!
I’m already looking forward to having these for Christmas dinner.
- 1 lb. asparagus (washed and cut)
- 1 package of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 Tbsp. finely minced red onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- Drop asparagus into boiling water and cover. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until tender. Don't over cook, I still like a little snap to mine, otherwise they turn to mush.
- While asparagus is cooking, in a small sauce pan over medium heat, put the olive oil and onions. Cook until the onions are soft. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook one minute to incorporate.
- When asparagus is done, drain and pour the vinaigrette over the top and garnish with crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS ASPARAGUS WITH BACON & RED ONION VINAIGRETTE SO YOU DON’T LOSE IT! CHECK OUT MY OTHER ALLERGY FRIENDLY PINTEREST BOARDS.
Adapted from Our Best Bites